NEMO Report on museums and climate change
29 Nov 2022
The Network of European Museum Organisations (NEMO) has published a report that reflects the status quo of European museums on their way to sustainable operations in the climate crisis.
578 museums from 38 European countries, including 18 from Ireland, contributed to this report by answering a survey that NEMO ran from April to June 2022. To develop the full potential of museums, it is key to understand where they most need support, and where their power and opportunity lie. The report suggests that if prioritized and supported adequately, museums can be powerful partners in the sustainable, just and green transformation of Europe.
NEMO opens the report with 7 key recommendations for policy makers and the sector that will help tap the full potential of museums as contributors and allies in the sustainable transition of Europe:
- Policy Coherence. Increase communication between governing and funding bodies and museums, encourage cooperation and develop cohesive, comprehensive frameworks for museum work.
- Relevance. Acknowledge and support the potential of museums as allies to help the public better understand climate change and become active.
- Infrastructure. Facilitate funds for investments in the infrastructure of museums, so that buildings can be maintained in a more energy-efficient, ecological and sustainable manner. Financial support should be streamlined and coupled with financial relief in consideration of the current energy crisis impacting museums across Europe.
- Frameworks and Guidance. Ensure that guidelines, standards and reporting requirements reflect all aspects of museum work and are aligned to support sustainable goals.
- Risk Awareness. Invest in future citizens’ sustained access to European shared heritage by funding and encouraging risk assessment, adaptation and mitigation for museums.
- Alliances. Fund global, cross-sector, climate-focused networks and umbrella organisations that address and enable mutual sharing of skills, knowledge, and expertise - supporting and empowering the sector to address climate change.
- Skills and Training. Allocate financial support to upskill and train staff to contribute to the museums’ sustainable transition and to support society’s just transition.