Butler Gallery reopens in new home
6 Aug 2020
The Butler Gallery in Kilkenny has reopened in a new permanent home, Evans' Home, following 44 years based in Kilkenny Castle.
An early 19th century alms house, Evans' home was secured by the Butler gallery in 2008, following a feasibility study led by the Butler Gallery, Kilkenny County Council, and the Heritage Council in 2004. With funding secured from the Department of culture, Kilkenny County Council, and Fáilte Ireland, the transformation of this important heritage site was led by McCullough Mulvin Architects and carried out by Mythen Construction Ltd.
The €6.3 million redevelopment of Evans’ Home sees seven galleries open on the first floor. These house the Gallery's collection of 20th century Irish Art, gathered since it's establishment in 1943, and The O'Malley collection, donated to the gallery by his widow on relocation to Evans' house. A learning centre and digital gallery provides a dedicated space for additional programming and services. A flexible exhibition space for temporary exhibitions is provided on the main floor and will launch with an photographic exhibition, 'The Bloods' by Amelia Stein, paying tribute to the former use of Evans' Home as a military barracks.
Click here to visit the recently redeveloped website for the Butler Gallery for more information on the redevelopment, exhibitions, and planning your visit.