Newry and Mourne Museum first opened in 1986 in Newry Arts Centre and moved to larger premises at Bagenal’s Castle in March 2007.
The Castle’s exact location was lost over the years due to constant adaptation of the building, not least when the premises were purchased by Arthur McCann Ltd in 1894 and converted into a bakery.
Rediscovered in 1996 when McCann’s sold the site, the Castle has been sympathetically restored. During the restoration process, drawings from a survey of the Castle completed c.1568 allowed archaeologists to uncover many original features of the Castle and these have been interpreted for the visitor.
The main exhibitions in the Museum include prehistoric material, Newry as a merchant town, the working life of the area and modern experiences of living in a Border area.
Bagenals Castle, Castle Street Newry, Northern Ireland, UK