The National Museum of Ireland – Archaeology is one of the four branches of the National Museum of Ireland: Decorative Arts and History, Country Life, Archaeology and Natural History.
The archaeological collection is the primary repository of ancient Irish artefacts and an indispensable source for researchers into the development of Irish civilisation from prehistoric times until the end of the Middle Ages and beyond.
The period covered by the exhibitions extends from the Mesolithic through to the end of the medieval period, and includes internationally known treasures such as the Ardagh Chalice, 'Tara' Brooch and Derrynaflan Hoard.
The National Museum of Ireland - Archaeology opened as a new, custom-built museum on 29 August 1890 and was designed by Cork architects Thomas Newenham Deane and his son Thomas Manly Deane. Built in the Victorian Palladian style, neo-classical influences can be seen in the colonnaded entrance and the domed rotunda, while the mosaic floors depict scenes from classical mythology.