The National Gallery of Ireland - Gailearaí Náisiúnta na hÉireann houses the national collection of Irish and European art.
The gallery was founded in 1854, following the success of the Great Industrial Exhibition of 1853, and opened its doors ten years later. The façade of the National Gallery copies the Natural History building of the National Museum of Ireland which was already planned for the facing flank of Leinster House. The building was designed by Francis Fowke, based on early plans by Charles Lanyon and has been extended through the addition of the Milltown, Beit, and Millenium wings.
The Gallery has an extensive, representative collection of Irish paintings and is also notable for its Italian Baroque and Dutch masters painting. The collection has about 14,000 artworks, including about 2,500 oil paintings, 5,000 drawings, 5,000 prints, and some sculpture, furniture and other works of art.