Membership Directory

Glenveagh Castle NPWS

Glenveagh-Castle.jpg

Glenveagh Castle stands within the boundaries of Glenveagh National Park. Construction of the Castle was completed in 1873 by John George Adair, a wealthy land speculator from County Laois, who gained infamy for having evicted 244 tenents from the estate in 1861. After his death in 1885 his wife Cornelia continued to manage the estate until her death in 1921, after which time the Castle became occupied by both the Anti-treaty and Free State Army forces during the Irish Civil War.

Glenveagh's next owner was not until 1927 when it was purchased by Professor Arthur Kingsley Porter of Harvard University who came to Ireland to study Irish Archaeology and Culture. He mysteriously disappeared from Inishbofin Island in 1933.

The last private owner was Mr. Henry McIlhenny of Philadelphia and curator at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, who bought the estate in 1937. In 1975 he agreed the sale of the estate to the Office of Public Works allowing for the creation of a National Park. In 1983 he bestowed the castle to the Irish Nation along with its gardens and contents.

Glenveagh Castle received Interim Museum Accreditation in 2023 from the Heritage Council's Museum Standards Programme for Ireland.

Category

Institutional

Address

Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

Telephone

+353 1 539 3232