Assistant Visitor Services Manager
National Museums NI, Cultra
Applications by: 4pm, 28 January 2021
National Museums NI seeks to appoint a Assistant Visitor Services Manager. Under the direction of the Visitor Services Manager, the role will be responsible for leading the visitor services team in the delivery of excellent interpretive services, and customer care to all visitors and users at the Ulster Folk Museum and Ulster Transport Museum. The post holders will carry out active on the ground management to ensure the quality of the visitor experience, and presentation of the museum.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The main duties the post holder will be expected to perform are as follows:
• To ensure high quality and consistent standards of interpretation and customer service within the Visitor Services Team throughout the museum.
• In conjunction with curatorial staff to ensure high standards of accuracy, quality of presentation and historic interpretation of the Museum’s collections, including the open-air exhibit buildings as applicable to the Visitor Services Team.
• To organise and supervise the daily duty rosters for Visitor Services to ensure the most efficient and effective use of staffing resources, and in particular the best use of demonstrations, tours and guiding skills to best promote the museum to all its visitors.
• To organise and supervise the museum’s cleaning service, incorporating all exhibit areas and staff offices including the scheduling of staff, ordering of cleaning materials, development of work programmes and maintenance of quality standards.
• To organise routine cleaning of exhibits and exhibit areas by Visitor Guides ensuring work is supervised and monitored, and where necessary taking advice from Curatorial and/or Conservation staff.
• To report and monitor maintenance issues to ensure a high standard of exhibit and Gallery presentation within the museum.
• To ensure high standards of behaviour and performance within the Visitor Services Team.
• To ensure high standards of security of all exhibit areas including control of exhibit building keys, carrying out regular inspections, and take appropriate action where required in conjunction with the museums Security Manager.
• To ensure high standards of health and safety in all exhibit areas, carrying out regular risk assessments and inspections, and take appropriate action where required in conjunction with the museums Health & Safety Manager.
• To ensure that the museum bye-laws are observed by both visitors and staff.
• To ensure the efficient and effective operation of the museums front of house facilities and services.
• To assist the Visitor Services Manager in the preparation and delivery of the museums corporate, public events and other activities / programmes.
• To be responsible for the delivery and accuracy of ticket sale processing and recording through the museums ticketing system.
• To champion and operate the NMNI booking system both back of house and at the front end.
• To assist with the introduction, development and evaluation of new services, ensuring they are communicated to staff and other departments effectively.
• To research, and contribute to events as laid out on the One Programme Plan.
Leadership and Staff Development
• To facilitate and participate in the development and delivery of departmental staff training and induction as required.
• To motivate and manage the visitor services team in the delivery of quality interpretative programmes and to ensure high standards of customer care.
• To undertake appropriate training and personal development programmes.
• Identify the learning and development needs of your team ensuring that these are addressed through relevant opportunities and interventions.
• Ensure the delivery of National Museums NI’s Vision, Mission and Values within your team.
• Act as a role model to staff and colleagues within National Museums NI.
• Embed a culture of continuous development and act as a coach / mentor when appropriate.
• To be responsible for the daily management of the Visitor Services Team.
• To promote team working and to ensure the communication of clear objectives and performance targets in accordance with National Museums NI’s Performance Excellence Framework procedure.
• To assist in the operation of personnel issues with the support of Human Resources staff, including the operation of the Disciplinary, Grievance, Dignity at Work and Attendance Management procedures, motivation, team building, and recruitment.
• To assist in the development and delivery of staff training programmes, including those aimed at enhancing the visitor experience across National Museums NI.
• To ensure a high quality information service to visitors, including the proactive promotion of museum events and activities.
• To establish and maintain effective methods of internal communication including the use of appropriate technology.
• Ensure that information, directions and guidance are cascaded to all team members clearly, concisely and in a timely manner.
• Develop a close and productive working relationship across sites and all National Museums NI Directorates.
• To update the Museums social media accounts, including responding to comments made by users.
• To develop and deliver daily briefing and debriefing sessions for all Visitor Services Teams, ensuring these are regularly updated and clearly delivered both verbally and in writing.
• To liaise with and support the Retail Manager in respect of all shop operational issues.
• To support the Assistant Visitor Services Managers to manage and operate the EPOS system both at the till and the back office, providing staff training as necessary.
• To ensure accurate and well documented stock information is maintained and communicated to the Retail Manager.
• To assist with the coordination and delivery of all relevant stock takes.
• To work closely with the Retail Manager in order to achieve set retail targets.
• To control and monitor all budgets relating to front of house and to ensure the highest level of effective and efficient financial management is maintained.
• To be responsible for the accurate implementation of the Museum’s financial and cash handling procedures as they relate to the Visitor Services Department.
• To carry out any required purchases and oversee purchasing within the visitor services team in accordance with the museums procurement procedures.
• To act as part of the museums site duty management team, assuming the role of site Duty Manager as required, responsible for all site operational matters including emergency response implementation.
• To wear period costume as required and in conjunction with the Visitor Services Manager, ensure that all staff adhere to the costume/uniform guidelines when on shift.
• With assistance from the Visitor Services Manager to manage corporate and private events and activities, including those outside public opening hours, which will involve regular weekend and evening work.
• To carry out other duties as required by the Museum, consistent with the grade and responsibilities of the post.
Salary range: £27,845 - £28,730, plus 12.5% Shift Disturbance Allowance
Click Here for further information and details of the application process.