St. Patricks Cathedral, Dublin
Applications by: 20 December 2019
The Cathedral’s Education Department are responsible for the design and delivery of an education programme to visiting schools/ education groups. This free programme is utilised by approximately 5000 students each year and includes Primary schools, Secondary schools, Third level Colleges and community groups. More details of the education department’s current programmes can be found at https://www.stpatrickscathedral.ie/education-groups/. The Education Department has two staff (including this position), but also utilises a panel of freelance facilitators in the delivery of education programmes. The Schools Officer will report to the Education Officer who will provide support and advise in the development of this aspect of the Education Department’s work.
School’s Officer role
The School’s Officer will manage all aspects of the provision of the schools programme. This will include, but may not be limited to:
• Providing tours, workshops and other education sessions to visiting education groups.
• Working with the Marketing Department to help grow the number of education groups visiting each year.
• Dealing with all enquiries and/ or other administration relating visiting education groups.
• Designing new education sessions which help to keep the education programme fresh and help to entice new schools to visit.
• To manage the recruitment and training of education facilitators, both paid and voluntary to assist with the delivery of education sessions.
• Creating drop in activities and/ or education sessions aimed at families for mid-term breaks and/or summer holidays
• Any other work which the Education Officer deems necessary
Attributes and Skills
• Excellent communication skills, including an ability to speak to a range of different audience size and abilities
• A passion for working with students of all ages
• Strong administration skills
• Creativity. An ability to create new educational resources for a variety of audiences
• People management, including an ability to recruit and train facilitators/ volunteers to help in the delivery of education programmes
• Good IT skills. A good working knowledge of software packages such as Word, Excel and Outlook
• An ability to work as part of a team and to work on her/his own initiative.
• An ability to work with diverse groups.
• Hard working and reliable.
Experience and qualifications
• Experience of delivering education sessions, tours and workshops to students (particularly school age students)
• Experience of designing new sessions for a range of audiences
• A 3rd level qualification in a field related to the Cathedral’s life and/ or history
• Experience of designing new educational resources, either physical or digital
• Experience of hiring, training and working alongside freelance facilitators
• Experience and/ or qualification in museum education or teaching
Click Here for further information and details of the application process.