The Chester Beatty Library is seeking to appoint an attendant. Salary will be €25,496; additional to this are regular rostered overtime payments. This is a fixed-term temporary 1 year contract. The closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm on Wednesday, 21 March, 2018
The Chester Beatty Library, one of Ireland's national cultural institutions, contains a world famous collection of manuscripts, prints, miniature paintings, early printed books and objets d'art from countries across Asia, the Middle East, North Africa and Europe. The collection is principally focused on the written word and its associated painted and printed images.
Attendants are involved in maintaining security at the Library and are the first point of contact between the public and the Library. The positions demand the highest standards of responsibility, integrity and courtesy.
1. To be responsible for the physical security of the collections located in the area under your control, especially when exhibited to the public. In particular to supervise the public when rostered for duty in the public exhibition galleries, at the reception desk or in the public reading rooms.
2. Proactively provide information to visitors about the Library's exhibitions, events, activities and services.
3. To engage in messenger and switchboard duties and to deal with routine queries from the public.
4. On completion of a period of familiarization, duties will include responding to fire and security alarm calls, including on call duty.
5. To operate equipment monitoring temperature and humidity levels.
6. To supervise outside contractors/ workers in the Library.
7. To perform light cleaning duties and routine maintenance, as required, and to ensure the Library premises are kept clean andin good order and carry out routine waste disposal duties.
8. To assist the Collections team in the mounting of exhibitions and internal movement of collections.
9. To provide support duties including post duties and assist in setting up areas for events and functions.
10. To carry out such additional appropriate duties as may be from time-to-time assigned to you by your Supervisors.
• Good general standard of education
• Experience of dealing with the public with proven strong visitor or customer service skills
• Security experience
• Ability to communicate effectively in English
• Experience of working in a team
• Flexible and collegial approach to work
• Eligible to work in Ireland
• Experience of working in a museum/ arts environment
• Knowledge of other languages, including the Irish language would be an advantage
Click here for further information and details of the application process.